This article isn’t about how to brush your teeth or use dental floss. Instead it’s about how you can prevent tooth decay and have fun at the same time.
Recently I came across an article stating that dried licorice root fights the bacteria that cause tooth decay and gum disease. Usually I try to avoid anything related to dental health but this time I got stuck in because when I was a kid back in Bath, Sommerset, I bought dried licorice root regularly. Thinking back to that time I remember being told of the health benefits but quickly forgot about them because they tasted so good and didn’t deserve to be associated with the other medicines I took.
It turns out, that licorice can help treat a variety of common health problems:
- stomach ulcers
- gastric disorders
- tooth decay
- gum disease
For parents of young children this is good news. Licorice root is not like any other medicine because its tasty and fun to eat! There are also a number of health products based on licorice, my favorite being Marvis Amarelli Licorice Toothpaste!
In summary, to prevent tooth decay you should not just clean your teeth with a brush and dental floss but also concentrate on your diet. Clearly, a diet low in carbohydrates is sensible but you can do more by looking for foods that fight the bacteria that cause tooth decay.
- Dried Licorice Root Fights The Bacteria That Cause Tooth Decay And Gum Disease (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Licorice Root May Cut Cavities, Gum Disease (webmd.com)
- Dried licorice root fights the bacteria that cause tooth decay and gum disease (eurekalert.org)
- New, Targeted Mouthwash Could Eliminate Tooth Decay “Within Our Lifetimes” [Medicine] (gizmodo.com)
- New Mouthwash Could Eliminate Tooth Decay ‘Within Our Lifetimes’ (gizmodo.com.au)